Thursday, September 10, 2015

Touring Trieste

My first week in Trieste has been an absolute joy. My wonderful Italian family has taken me to see many of the defining tourism features of Trieste, and every day I love this city even more. Of course this can only be explained through photos (plus, who really wants to read a bunch of words without pretty pictures anyway), so here we go. I have been taking far more photos than I ever have in my life, and I am lucky to have a family who loves photos just as much as me, so they have taken quite a few photos as well. There are A LOT of photos here but most just have short captions so hopefully you don't fall asleep.

The Opicina-Trieste Tram+Trieste Exploration
Trieste has a historic tram that is used for transportation from the hill town of Opicina down into the town of Trieste, so we took it into town to explore.

The tram at the station in the center of Trieste.
Canal Grande!
Selfie Time! This is with my dad and my aunt.
My mom and I near the Canal Grande.



In the days after the Trieste tour by Tram, my wonderful zia(aunt) Raffaela has taken me, my sister Alice, and my cousin Greta on several tourist adventures which have been so much fun, and a great way to explore the area.

First up: Castello di Miramare, a 19th century castle in Trieste.





The next day we visited Grotta Gigante---the worlds largest tourism cave...it's even in the book of world records! Luckily for me, it happens to be very close as well.
A humorous sign warning tourists about the fact that if you have to walk 500 steps down to enter the cave, you also have to walk 500 steps back up. 

The largest stalagmite in the cave.

The pictures don't do it justice, but the inside was absolutely fantastic!


The next day, we visited the Museo Civico di Storia Naturale......Trieste's natural history museum. It was filled with impressive creatures large and small.
Giant lobsters.

A replica of an ancient giant bear.

Spooky scary skeletons.





And finally today we went to a quaint town quite near Trieste, Muggia, as well as the Temple of Monte Grista, which has an excellent view over Trieste.

A beautiful church in Muggia.

Boats boats boats!

Isn't Muggia cute?

Transition time....this is the top of Monte Grista. I love the pattern.

And the view! The closest city you see is Trieste.
Hope you enjoyed the little virtual tour of some of what Trieste has to offer. I have plenty more to tell you, but this post is already far too long as it is, so see you next time! Ciao!


4 comments:

  1. It looks amazing! Though I cant help but wish you were still here because the seating chart in APES says you would have been my lab partner. :P

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, hope you are surviving with a slightly less crazy lab partner ;)

      Delete
  2. Your family looks wonderful and happy! Is the team how you get into town?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, the tram is a valid form of transportation but it is a bit slow. The public transportation that I usually use is the bus system.

      Delete

Hi there! It would really make my day if you would leave me a comment! Let me know what you thought, or just say hi!