Saturday, January 31, 2015

Choosing Countries


So let me just start this post by saying that I don’t think that I’ll ever be able to count the number of times that I have been asked where I am going. The conversation goes something like this every time:
Friend or Parent’s Friend: “Trula! I hear that you are going on exchange next year!”
Me: “Yeah, I’m really excited, but also pretty terrified.”
Friend: “Wow, where are you going?”
Me: (launching into my well-practiced little elevator pitch) “Well, I’m not sure yet, but I will learn in late January at a Rotary orientation. I get to give rotary my top three choices, but I’m not guarenteed one of them and really they can send me anywhere. I’ve chosen France, Italy, and Brazil, but who knows where I’ll actually be going.”

So yeah. It gets a little exhausting. It’s November now, and I have to keep this up until the end of January! My friends in my carpool to Crew after school have already heard me say it enough just in the carpool cars to be able to repeat it just about word for word :).

As far as my top three countries, I picked France, Italy, and Brazil. I was given a list of of 16 countries, divided into two lists: European and Non-European, and I had to pick at least one from each list. I was interested in France from the beginning, having taken French for two years. Italy seemed appealing for their beautiful language and delicious food. Then I had to pick one non-european country, and I chose Brazil based on recommendations from family friends who have been to Brazil. I’m crossing my fingers for France or Italy, but I know that they are both very popular choices and it’s kind of unlikely that I will get them. Luckily, I really would be fine with any country on the list. I would just be more ok with some than others ;).

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi there! It would really make my day if you would leave me a comment! Let me know what you thought, or just say hi!